As a cat owner, you may have heard about jojoba oil and its benefits. Jojoba oil is a natural oil extracted from the seeds of the jojoba plant, a plant native to North America. It is typically used in skincare and haircare products for humans. But can cats have jojoba oil? In this article, we explore the safety of jojoba oil for cats and how to use it properly.
What is Jojoba Oil?
Jojoba oil is a liquid wax similar to the natural oils produced by the human skin. It is rich in nutrients and antioxidants, making it a widely used ingredient in many cosmetic and skincare products. Jojoba oil has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties, which make it an effective remedy for skin problems in humans and animals.
Can Cats Have Jojoba Oil?
Jojoba oil is generally safe for cats, but it should be used with caution. Cats are sensitive to multiple essential oils and plant-based products, so it’s important to make sure that the oil you use is safe for your pet. Before using any new product on your cat, it’s best to consult with your veterinarian.
Benefits of Jojoba Oil for Cats
Jojoba oil has many benefits for cats, including:
- Moisturizes dry skin: Jojoba oil is an excellent moisturizer that can help alleviate dry skin in cats. It is easily absorbed by the skin and does not leave a greasy residue.
- Soothes skin irritations: Jojoba oil has anti-inflammatory properties that soothe skin irritations, such as hotspots and rashes.
- Promotes healthy coat: Jojoba oil can also help promote a healthy coat by moisturizing and nourishing the hair follicles.
How to Use Jojoba Oil Safely for Cats
To use jojoba oil safely for cats, follow these tips:
- Use 100% pure jojoba oil: Make sure that the product you use is pure and does not contain any additives or fragrances.
- Test on a small area: Before applying jojoba oil to your cat’s skin, test it on a small area first to make sure that your cat is not allergic to it.
- Use in moderation: Use jojoba oil in moderation and avoid overusing it, as it can cause skin irritation.
- Apply to affected areas: Use jojoba oil on hotspots, irritations, and dry skin areas.
- Avoid applying near the eyes: Do not apply jojoba oil near your cat’s eyes, as it can cause irritation and discomfort.
Best Jojoba Oil for Cats
I have found three jojoba oil products that are available for purchase on Amazon.com and have received positive feedback from consumers.
Organic Jojoba Oil by Leven Rose
This product is sourced from organic jojoba seeds from the USA and is 100% pure. Consumers have praised its effectiveness in moisturizing their cat’s dry skin and soothing skin irritations.
Its safety for cats has also been confirmed by veterinarians. It has an average rating of 4.5 stars, with one reviewer stating, “This jojoba oil is amazing for my cat’s coat. It makes it so soft and shiny.”
Now Solutions, Organic Jojoba Oil
This product is also sourced from organic jojoba seeds and is 100% pure. Consumers have reported using it safely on their cats for various skin issues, including dryness, itching, and flakiness.
Its average rating is 4.6 stars, with one reviewer commenting, “My cat’s skin has never looked better since I started using this jojoba oil. It’s so gentle and effective.”
US Organic Jojoba Oil
The US Organic Jojoba Oil is sourced from jojoba seeds from farms in Israel and is 100% pure. Consumers have found it to be a safe and effective option for their cats’ dry and irritated skin. Its average rating is 4.3 stars, with one reviewer stating, “I love this jojoba oil for my cat. It’s so pure and gentle, and it works wonders on his dry skin.”
How to Stop Your Cat from Ingesting Jojoba Oil
Cats are curious creatures and may try to lick or ingest jojoba oil if it’s applied to their skin. To prevent your cat from ingesting jojoba oil, follow these tips:
- Apply when your cat is relaxed: Apply jojoba oil when your cat is relaxed and less likely to lick or scratch the affected area.
- Use a cone or bandage: If your cat is prone to licking or scratching, use a cone or bandage to prevent them from accessing the affected area.
- Clean the area: After applying the oil, clean the area using a damp cloth to get rid of any excess oil.
Jojoba Oil Comparison with Other Oils
Jojoba oil is perhaps one of the safest oils for cats, but there are other oils that can also be used for cats. Here’s a comparison of jojoba oil with other oils:
Coconut oil is safe for cats and has similar moisturizing properties as jojoba oil. However, it can be greasy and may stain fabrics.
Olive oil is safe for cats and can be used as a natural moisturizer. However, it is not as easily absorbed as jojoba oil and may leave a greasy residue.
Almond oil is safe for cats and has moisturizing properties. However, it should not be used on cats with nut allergies.
Read more: Good (and Safe) Cat Laxatives
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some frequently asked questions about jojoba oil for cats:
Can I use jojoba oil on cats’ paw pads?
Yes, jojoba oil can be used on cats’ paw pads to moisturize dry skin.
Is jojoba oil toxic if ingested in cats?
Jojoba oil is not toxic if ingested by cats, but it can lead to digestive issues and diarrhea.
Is jojoba oil good for cats?
Yes, jojoba oil is good for cats and has many benefits for their skin and coat.
Can I put jojoba oil on my Sphynx cat?
Yes, jojoba oil can be used on Sphynx cats to moisturize their skin.
Can I use jojoba oil on my cat for dandruff?
Yes, jojoba oil can help alleviate dandruff in cats by moisturizing their skin.
What oil is safe for cats?
Jojoba oil, coconut oil, olive oil, and almond oil are safe for cats when used in moderation.
Why does my cat like jojoba oil?
Cats are attracted to the scent of jojoba oil, which has a nutty and earthy aroma. The oil can also feel soothing and moisturizing to their skin.
You might also like: Best Catnip Oil for Cats
Jojoba oil is a natural oil that can be extracted from the seeds of the jojoba plant and is commonly used in cosmetics and skincare products. This article explored the safety of jojoba oil for cats and its benefits, including moisturizing dry skin, soothing skin irritations, and promoting a healthy coat.
To use jojoba oil safely for cats, it is important to use 100% pure jojoba oil, test it on a small area before applying, and avoid applying near the eyes. While jojoba oil is generally safe for this species, it should be used with caution, and it’s best to consult with a vet before using any new product on your cat.
This post contains affiliate links on some of the images. You can support this blog by trying out the products recommended in this article.